Step into a cultural and environmental masterpiece: the Sierra Norte of Oaxaca. Your Zapotec guides offer unique insights into this stunning, heavily forested mountain area. Live in their traditional villages, and trek, bike or horseback from village to village along miles of guided trails. In Oaxaca City, meet with artisanal mezcal distillers and respected chefs on extraordinary culinary discoveries. Discover unique opportunities to travel deeper.
Our kids had, for the first time, an appreciation of where they live and an understanding of what it would be like to live in another part of the world.
I chose Crooked Trails because they are committed to culturally and environmentally sensitive travel. Their dedication is unparalleled as evidenced by the level of commitment they put into developing and running their programs.
Trekking in Oaxaca
8D / 7N
Custom departures available year-round
Easy-Challenging (depending on route)
Oaxaca City – Trek in Oaxacan Sierras – Oaxaca City
village experience, volunteering
Share this Trip
Discover the interplay of incredible natural beauty, outdoor adventure, and an up-close look into the world of traditional rural life in the Sierra Norte of Oaxaca. Trek through stunning mountain scenery at elevations of 10,000 feet along miles of trails interlinking several villages, all guided by the local Zapotec villagers.
- Community based tourism at its best; learn from local guides and enjoy delicious home-cooked meals
- Trekking in some of the most beautiful landscapes Mexico has to offer
- Explore the fascinating city of Oaxaca and take part in a cooking class
- Opportunity to take part in community projects
Wild Mushroom Festival in Oaxaca
7D / 6N
Summer 2018 – dates to be announced soon!
Oaxaca City – Teotitlan – Llano Grande – Cuajimoloyas – Oaxaca City
Share this Trip
Participate in three traditional festivals of Oaxaca: The Wild Mushroom Festival in the high Sierra Norte Mountains, the Guelaguetza, a traditional parade of dancing, dresses and culture and the Mezcal festival of tastings and demonstrations in beautiful Oaxaca City.
- Trek through deep forests between traditional Zapotec communities
- Search for and collect mushrooms while learning from local guides and mycology experts
- Participate in mycology classes and workshops at the annual Wild Mushroom Festival
- Explore the fascinating city of Oaxaca and experience a traditional festival with mezcal tastings
Share this Post