Imagine for a moment, a place where Gross National Happiness is more important than Gross National Product. Travel to the Haa Valley, where you’ll be welcomed into a traditional rammed-earth home of the extended family of your guide, Phuntso Norbu. Your host family churns butter by hand, grinds buckwheat with a stone mill and shares the wonders of village life with you. Bhutan is where the old and new are alchemically intertwined, creating magic – to the delight of all who visit.
We enjoyed the homestay tremendously. Getting the opportunity to participate in the local Haa celebration and the festival in Jakir were also very memorable. Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity to experience Bhutan and its people! It was an outstanding trip. We look forward to other adventures with Crooked Trails.
To get to meet people’s brothers and sisters and uncles within the course of our travel was completely unique. And to have Phuntso there translating, I really felt I got to have conversations with local people. One woman had never had a visitor in her home from outside of her community and she was so warm, so excited to talk to us ladies – she wished we could all speak the same language so that we could talk more openly.
Cultural Immersion and the Paro Festival
12D / 11N
Sring 2018 TBA
Paro – Dorikha – Paro – Thimphu – Punakha – Tigers Nest – Paro
Share this Trip
On this cultural immersion program you will be spending time living with the villagers of Dorikha, who maintain two villages – one for winter and one for summer. Learn about this traditional way of life, and enjoy highlights of this ancient kingdom including Punakha, Thimphu and a breathtaking visit to the Tiger’s Nest. The famous Paro Festival is an unforgettable part of this journey.
- Unique opportunity to live and learn with a local family
- Witness the unfurling of the worlds largest religious Thangka scroll at the Paro Tsechu festival
- Experience an ancient nomadic culture off the tourist circuit
- Discover the Bhutanese culture through explorations of temples, reserves and museums
Trailing Nomads Fall Migration
12D / 11N
Fall 2018 TBA
Paro – Dorikha – Lasono – Dorikha – Thimphu – Punakha – Paro – Tigers Nest
Share this Trip
On this journey, you will be tracing the trails of the Dorips, who have been migrating to their warmer village in the south every winter for hundreds of years. A homestay allows you to live with and learn from the Dorips, and you’ll also absorb Bhutan’s beauty by visiting Tiger’s Nest monastery and witnessing the Thimpu Tsechu festival.
- Unique opportunity to live with a local family
- Experience the Thimpu Tsechu Festival, Bhutan’s most revered annual festival
- Trace the trail of the Dorips, an ancient nomadic culture (with the option to trek)
- Hike to the infamous Tigers Nest Monastery
- Discover Bhutanese culture by exploring temples, reserves and museums
Share this Post